Friday, September 23, 2005

Monkey See. Monkey Do.


Lately I have noticed Wesley doing a lot of new things. Not the major milestones that everyone brags about like walking and talking, but the little things. The ones that show you how he is really learning from what he see us do around the house or in day to day life.

He loves the cell phone or the home phone. He loves to press the buttons. He knows if you give him a broken one and he will throw it down. He prefers all of my toys over the ones we have purchased for him. I admit to letting him play with the cell phone when I need just a few minutes of quiet from him. It works well at keeping him quiet, but he calls people! He has called my dad on several occasions. He has called him at work and at home. One day I noticed he called my dad, sister, sister-in-law, and our house in just a few moments alone with the phone.

He has also played with the home phone, turned it on and then put it down on the floor and left it running until someone finds it and hangs it up. I am praying he hasn't called China or some place that isn't covered by our regular long distance service.

This week I noticed him finally putting things into containers. Until now he has only dumped things out. He didn't want anything in them at all, even if I put it there. Now he is putting all kinds of things into all kinds of objects. I found the little sponge thing I put on his door to stop it from closing in his dresser drawer. I found the remote, phone, an old toilet paper roll and several toys in the back section of his diaper bag. He has started emptying the clothing from one dresser drawer and placing the same clothes into another drawer.

I don't know why I find these things so interesting, but I found myself just sitting and watching him keep himself busy. He was putting away clothes, making pretend phone calls, stopping to watch CMT for his favorite videos, taking a drink from his cup, he would yell out every now and then his famous "eh?" and then play with a toy.

All of a sudden, I got worried. He is acting like a mommy. I better give him the remote and put Sportscenter on so he can act like a daddy instead!

No comments: